Monday, June 15, 2009

The Majority

Our sermon Sunday was about evangelism. Scripture tells us that we are to tell others about God's plan of salvation. Jesus says in Matthew 28:19: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..."

I remember before I was a believer I didn't understand why Christians were so adamant about telling others about their faith. Now that I understand God's plan of salvation-it makes sense. If I truly believe that someone is headed to eternity in hell and I really love that person--wouldn't I want to make certain they know how to end up in heaven. Why would I ever want that person to suffer? So it isn't that Christians are pushy and want everyone to agree with them. The truth is that Christians really believe there is one way to heaven and they want others to end up in heaven too, instead of eternally being separated from God.

Our pastor gave a statistic in his sermon that about 70% of the population believe that you end up in heaven as a result of works. In other words, if you are baptized, pray certain prayers, or do good things, then you will end up in heaven. That is NOT biblical. The Bible tells us that there is only ONE way to heaven and that is through faith in Christ: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9) That tells us that about 70% of the population is lost!! (That is a nice way of saying headed for eternity in hell.) For me that is very convicting. I need to be taking every opportunity to make sure others know God's plan of salvation.

So if you find me or someone else telling you about Jesus and the Gospel--take it as a compliment and be flattered. It means I really, really like you. ;0)

1 comment:

  1. LIKE THE LEFT BEHIND MOVIE, WHEN THE PREACHER WASN'T TAKEN. EVEN THOUGH HE WAS DOING GOOD DEEDS AND EVEN TEACHING ABOUT JESUS, HE DIDN'T BELIEVE AND WAS LEFT BEHIND.

    ReplyDelete