Friday, June 19, 2009

Like a Thief

A huge part of the reason I felt driven to write this blog is because of the rapture. I have been reading about the rapture and end times a lot lately. I have been reading about the signs Jesus said to watch for and about all the prophecy in the Bible. I don't think it is by coincidence God has me focused on this subject. I believe we are in the season of the end times. Will that season be long or short? I do not know. If I were to guess, I think it is VERY near.

Regardless of how soon it will happen, Jesus told us to watch and be ready. For anyone who may not know what the rapture is, let me briefly explain. The rapture is when Jesus Christ returns to remove the church (or in other words all of the believers on Earth):

"After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever." 1 Thessalonians 4:17

Basically we will all just be going about our business one day and--BAM--a bunch of people are suddenly gone. You will be walking around Wal-Mart trying to decide on a bag of potato chips and the guy at the end of the aisle will suddenly be gone leaving his cart full of groceries behind. All believers will vanish:

"...in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed." 1 Corinthians 15:52


The point is--we don't know for certain when the rapture will happen. It could happen today!! This is how Jesus described it:

"for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. " 1 Thessalonians 5:2-4

Jesus will come like a thief when we least expect. That is why we must be proactive to strive toward holy living and tell others about the gospel. We could be gone any day now!! Today could be our last chance to tell those we love about Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. We could also die at any moment. Another reason to live our lives so we're ready to meet our Maker at all times.

    That Rapture bit can be seen in different lights. Check out my free e-book Walkabout: The History of a Brief Century for another way it might happen!

    Best,

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, we could die at any moment.

    As soon as I get an opportunity, I will have to check out your book. Thanks!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete