Friday, June 1, 2012

My Mom's Fiery Trial

There is so much I could write about right now regarding my mom's final days and passing. God was at work in major ways and gave me encouragement that I will one day see my mom again in heaven. Is there anything better than that?? Absolutely not!!

What is on my mind now is God's providence. His sovereignty. His purpose. His plan. Seeing someone sick or going through a trial can be so overwhelming, but rarely do we step back and try to see God's bigger, eternal purpose. As I contemplate all He's done, I am reminded of a wonderful teaching by Beth Moore that has stuck with me. In her Bible study on the Book of Daniel, she applies what happened to Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego to our lives (Daniel 3). These three admirable fellas refused to worship King Nebuchadnezzar's 90 foot statue (idol). As a result, the King had them thrown into a fiery furnace. 


To make a great story short and to the point--God performed a miracle. They were not burned, they were not harmed in anyway, and they did not even smell of smoke!!! (Daniel 3:27)

How does this apply to us? Beth teaches that we can go through one of three scenarios:

1.We will be delivered from the fire and our faith will be built. The example she gave was finding a lump and going to the doctor and finding out it was not cancerous, or even better--it miraculously disappeared!
2. We can be delivered through the fire and our faith will be refined. Using the same example, Beth said it would be like being diagnosed with cancer. After treatment, God provides you healing.
3. We can be delivered by the fire into God's arms, in which, our faith is perfected. We die from the cancer, but our faith becomes sight.


The scenario that sounds the worst to us--death--is actually the best outcome! There will be nothing better for us to make our entrance into heaven where we will be with Jesus forever. 


God has given me hope that He gave my mom the best outcome. He delivered her into His loving arms. Thank you, Jesus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment