Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Concerned

But the LORD said, "You have been concerned about this vine, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. But Nineveh has more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned about that great city?" Jonah 4:10-11

Another point in the Book of Jonah was very convicting to me. God had made a vine grow up around Jonah to provide shelter from the sun and wind and then He destroyed it. God was using this as an object lesson for Jonah. After He destroyed it Jonah got all upset over this vine. God made the point to Jonah that while he was so concerned with this vine, God's concern was for the people of Ninevah (who were lost & needed God's truth revealed to them).

The question from this is what are my concerns?
Are my concerns all about me?
Are they about the temporary things and not things of eternal value?
Are they about my comfort?
Are they about what I want?

God has one concern: PEOPLE. God's point was that our concerns should be His concerns. Vines die, fads end, material goods will perish. People will live forever--somewhere; that is what God cares about and that is what I should care about. I'm praying for God to make my concerns the same as His!!

No comments:

Post a Comment