Friday, September 25, 2009

Who Am I To Question?

Yesterday I faced some continued complications with my health. I was given some potentially scary news and my immediate emotional reaction was worry. I think when anything bad happens to us we begin to question God and His motives (which is exactly what the enemy desires). My immediate reaction was to feel sorry for myself and think "why me?!"

Fortunately, God didn't allow this thinking to last too long, however. I was immediately reminded of the story of Job found in the Old Testament. Satan gains permission from God to test Job's faith. Job loses everyone and everything and eventually begins to suffer physically. Job and his friends question God and God's response puts things into perspective. It puts things in perspective for me too!

"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.

Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?

On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone-

while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels shouted for joy?" Job 38:4-7

When I question God in these ways, He reminds me that He alone is God. He alone created the universe. When I doubt or question Him, His response can be, "Oh, I'm sorry Ms. Know-it-all. Since you know so much, where were you when I spun the earth into motion? Where were you when I created man?" Ah, how humbling. Even in the most horrible circumstances--God is in control. He has a plan and a purpose (Jeremiah 29:11).

There is one thing I must remember daily. My life isn't going to be perfect. My life isn't even going to probably usually be close to perfect!! BUT, I have one purpose. My purpose is to glorify God in all that I do (1 Corinthians 10:31). What a challenge. I must fall on my knees daily before Him and pray that He will help me do that. I know I can't do it on my own!

2 comments:

  1. Brooke,
    In spite of our differing spiritual beliefs, I want to let you know that I am praying for you and that I admire your faith and conviction in the face of illness. I cannot claim to understand the pain associated with your particular situation, although I also suffered a significant health setback during my first pregnancy... and it is still not healed. Illness can be a great teacher for the spirit and with your faith to guide you, it is yet another way for your unique light to illuminate the vast universe of souls in darkness. You are sounding your trumpet with a new song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your prayers, Michelle! I know you are someone who can relate in this area. Dealing with health problems is so challenging because it can be so much out of our control and only in His. I completely agree with you that illness can lead to a great time of teaching. One verse I often return to is in the book of James (one of my favorites). "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."James 1:2 & 3.

    It is SO good to hear from you and I really appreciate your encouragement. Aside from growing us, I think another major reason we go through stuff is so that later on down the road we can use our experience to encourage others. So thank you! ;)

    ReplyDelete