Thursday, May 28, 2009

Proof in the Prophecy

The Old Testament has been harder for me to study than the New Testament. There are a lot of dry parts, in my opinion. But the more you learn about it, the more interesting it becomes. The history of the Jewish nation and their relationship with God should hold a lot of value to every Christian. Jewish history is ultimately our history too. One thing that is very intriguing to me about God and His word is the amount of prophecy given in both the Old and New Testaments. He provides amazing evidence to the truth of His word in the prophecies that have already been fulfilled and the others that are still yet to be fulfilled in the future. I wanted to list a few examples of some prophecy that were given in the Old Testament about the coming Messiah that were fulfilled in Jesus Christ and His death. In doing so, I recognize that I could provide endless evidence of God's truth through fulfilled prophecy inspiring no new belief, because I know that in all reality, faith is required for salvation. When it comes down to it, skeptics aren't lacking evidence, they are lacking faith.

Jesus would be betrayed by a friend:
“Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.”
Psalm 41:9

Jesus would be spat upon and beaten:
“I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard; I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting.”
Isaiah 50:6

Jesus would stand silent before His accusers:
“He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.”
Isaiah 53:7

His hands and feet would be pierced:
"Dogs have surrounded me;
a band of evil men has encircled me,
they have pierced my hands and my feet." Psalm 22:16

Jesus would die for our sins:
“Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.”
Isaiah 53:4-6


No comments:

Post a Comment